Broken Rusty Lock with Missing Key - Restoration

Broken Rusty Lock with Missing Key - Restoration

In this video i'm restoring an old broken and rusty Padlock. This Padlock was sent to me by one of my subsrcibers from Italy. Right when I saw the picture I knew I want to restore this lock and I was impatiently waiting for the package to arrive. I found out that his padlock was made in Germany by Kamp in the 1930s. The lock was very rusty, the key was missing and it seemed to be broken. It was also very rusty inside, all moving parts were stuck and the closing mechanism was broken. Due to the amount of damage on the case due to rust I decided to paint it. This way I can use filler to achieve a nice finish, otherwise I'd had to sand all pitting off and there was just not enough material left to do so. The plates from the mechanism were damaged a lot too, but they were all still functional. So I only removed all sharp edges and gave them a nice bluing finish for rust protection. The aluminium part, where the key comes in was damaged a lot too and had a lot of play in the case. If I would sand it clean it would get even more play. For those reasons I decided to make a new one, I choose bronze because it would fit better to the overall look at the end. Making the key was quite a challenge, but it turned out very well and it actually worked. In my opinion the padlock turned out very well and I'm very happy with the endresult. I hope you like my work and the video. Huge thank you to all of my Patreon and PayPal supporters and specially to: Daniele Castoldi Tyler Nelson Afreeflyingsoul Gregory Ricardo David Adel AlSaffar Alan Hanson Amanda Taylor, Esq Andreswara Hermawan Andrew Phillips audi4444player Courtney Maleport Dan Williams Dre Gilley Ethan Hartley Hunter R. JD Smith Joel Miller Jonas Richartz LVE Mellissa Marcus Nick Cannon Paul Ambry Paul Mampilly Shawn Daniels Trevor Kam TRG Restoration Vince Valenti Yale Baker Zachary Grimes Timestamps: 00:00 preview 00:39 disassembling 02:09 showing all the parts 02:22 cleaning the parts with the parts washer 02:50 sandblasting 03:29 restoring the case 06:18 restoring the shackle 07:38 making two brass parts to support the shackle sideways 08:17 restoring the plates 08:58 remaking the broken part 10:09 making a new spring 10:53 making new pins on the lathe 11:37 making three rings for the blind rivets 12:08 making a new front cover 13:34 making a new part for the key on the lathe and mill 15:19 making a new key 18:12 showing the parts before reassembling 18:31 reassembling 20:25 showing the finished restoration 21:05 final test Time and costs of this restoration: I was working on this project for 2 week $10 steel for the frontplate and closing mechanism $10 steel for the pins and key $50 paint $25 rivets My camera: Panasonic HC-V180 If you have any questions about the process, machines i'm using or other stuff, just ask me in the comments. I read them all and i try to reply as soon as possible. Sorry for my bad english, it's not my language. I try my best to improve my technical english. Subscribe for more of my content. I'm uploading videos about mechanical stuff, as new creations and buildings and also restorations. Thank you for watching :-) „I make a new one“ T-Shirts: https://teespring.com/stores/my-mechanics My Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4EQCwfH54ieNPswtXh5K0w My Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/mymechanics My PayPal: my_mechanics@hotmail.com Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/my_mechanics/ My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/My-mechanics-1966277857002099/

Facebook Comments

More other Video